Monday, May 24, 2010

Reading Like a Writer Response to What Was The First Sound by Patricia Smith

Q#3 : Does any particular image run throughout the essay? If so, why does the author choose it? Does it have any "metaphorical significance"? Does it transform in any way from the beginning to the end?

The image that runs through this poem is the color purple. I believe the author chose this to represent a multitude of things. First being the sadness and despair brought on by the hurricane. The mixing of water and blood coming together to represent the vibrant color surrounding the storm. The metaphorical significance may be that of blood and water, but also despair and fear. This image of purple transforms from the beginning to the end by starting as a sound and then being described as a vivid image of torn bodies and swollen gazes while ending with the wind "finding its color".

1 comment:

  1. I agree that there is several feelings and thoughts that are represented by color. I like how you interpreted the poem.

    ReplyDelete